Prompt 21, 44

Pg. 241-297

Max, the German Jew, starts to exercise in the basement. He daydreams about fighting Adolf Hitler, in which he “wins” the fight. The mayor’s wife tells Liesel that she’s firing Liesel’s mother. She then tries to give Liesel her favorite book, The Whistler but Liesel doesn’t accept. Liesel and Rudy then come up with a plan to steal from the mayor and his wife. They carry out their plan but Liesel only manages to steal a book. Max starts to draw more pages for Liesel’s book. The first drawing is hitler giving a speech and the second drawing shows two people walking on top of a mountain of dead bodies with the swatsika in the top.

As I read I felt that Max was getting really closed off from society. He only talks to Liesel and he spends his days drawing, painting and exercising. I feel that if I was in his situation I would act similar to him or crazier than him. When Liesel and Rudy stole from the mayor I began to think of this as the ending of their innocence. They’re started to steal from others and I feel that they know the reality of what’s happening in Germany. I feel like many of the kids in Germany lost their innocence early in their childhood because of the Holocaust.